Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: `message' not outputting the newline "atomically"
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 09:41:52 +0200

On 26/06/2019 20:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> From: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 13:36:54 -0600
>>
>> Not that I care much about this, I feel that defending the use case of
>> debugging Emacs through printf() statements is rooted in believes akin
>> to religious ones, and religious arguments cannot be won with logic.
>
> It isn't religious at all.  We have built-in debugging capabilities
> that use stderr, see the trace-redisplay feature as one example.  This
> particular feature is very valuable for me, as it happens.

Because you mention it explicitly, I went and checked how the
trace-redisplay feature works.  I found only one function used by this
feature to outputs something on stderr, debug_method_add(), and this
function uses an fprintf() with a format string that is terminated by a
new line:

  fprintf (stderr, "%p (%s): %s\n", ...)

to output messages to stderr.  I don't think this would be affected in
any way by line buffering stderr.  Can you please be more precise in
what is that makes you worried in relation to trace-redisplay and line
buffered stderr?

Thank you.

Best,
Dan