Re: HarfBuzz is available on MS-Windows

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: HarfBuzz is available on MS-Windows
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 18:44:14 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Thanks in advance for helping to test the branch.
>>
>> What advantages does this backend provide over the previous one?
>
> Its shaping engine has fewer bugs and is actively developed to keep it
> up to date with recent developments in fonts and support for complex
> scripts.
>
> In the future, I hope we will be able to enable advanced features like
> ligatures and color emoji, but this is not yet in the code base.
>
>> What can I do to test that harfbuzz is working as expected on areas
>> where the difference should be observable?
>
> It depends on what scripts you use routinely.  If you are using Latin
> scripts and little else, just verifying that you see no strange
> display artifacts, and that HELLO displays correctly, is enough for
> now.

Thanks. Just built and installed emacs on MSYS2/Mingw-w64/64 and it
doesn't start, no output whatsoever. Tried gdb and the output was quite
strange:

$ gdb emacs.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) 8.3
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-w64-mingw32".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from emacs.exe...
(No debugging symbols found in emacs.exe)
(gdb) r
Starting program: C:\apps\msys64\mingw64\bin\emacs.exe
[New Thread 2480.0x7b0]
warning: C
warning: a
warning: n
warning: n
warning: o
warning: t
warning:
warning: o
warning: p
warning: e
warning: n
warning:
warning: l
warning: o
warning: a
warning: d
warning:
warning: f
warning: i
warning: l
warning: e
warning: :
warning:
warning: N
warning: o
warning:
warning: s
warning: u
warning: c
warning: h
warning:
warning: f
warning: i
warning: l
warning: e
warning:
warning: o
warning: r
warning:
warning: d
warning: i
warning: r
warning: e
warning: c
warning: t
warning: o
warning: r
warning: y
warning: ,
warning:
warning: u
warning: r
warning: l
warning: -
warning: h
warning: a
warning: n
warning: d
warning: l
warning: e
warning: r
warning: s
warning:
Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, url-handlers
[Thread 2480.0x7b0 exited with code 0]
[Inferior 1 (process 2480) exited with code 037777777777]
(gdb)

However, -Q works. Will bisect my .emacs later tonight.