Re: Major mode and implementation of expected editing facilities

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Major mode and implementation of expected editing facilities
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 00:14:04 -0400

On 2019-05-28 00:40, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> For example I don't fins mention of M-q (fill-paragraph) which was in my
> original example.

This is because major modes shouldn't rebind M-q; instead, they should set
fill-paragraph-function.  I don't know of a good list of this a major-mode
should redefine, so I sent one in a separate email.

Btw, this part of the manual looks wrong:

>   For example, a major mode for editing
>   a programming language might redefine C-M-a to move to the beginning
>   of a function in a way that works better for that language.

C-M-a invokes beginning-of-defun-function if available, so setting that
variable is likely better than rebinding C-M-a.

Clément.