Re: Understanding atomic window groups

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Understanding atomic window groups
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 11:13:28 +0300

> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 09:59:03 +0200
>
>  > This is really helpful, and I see that the docstring of `delete-window'
>  > actually mentions the case of atomic windows. I agree with Eli that
>  > maybe more documentation is in order. I feel like all the pieces are
>  > present (here and there), but there's no one place to get a full
>  > overview.
>
> The "one place" should be section 28.18 of the Elisp manual.  If
> something is missing there, please complain right away.

AFAICT, that section lists the functions affected by atomic windows,
but doesn't tell what you said earlier:

> 'quit-window' calls 'window-deletable-p' before it tries to delete a
> window so it should never cause a "Root of atomic window is root
> window of its frame" error.  If it does cause an error we have a bug
> so maybe check again.
>
> 'delete-window' OTOH will raise an error when the root of the atomic
> window is the root of the frame.  If you want to avoid that, typically
> because most of your users who type C-x 0 expect the selected window
> to disppear or those typing C-x 1 expect the selected window to become
> the single window of its frame despite of atomicity, you will have to
> adjust the behavior with the help of 'delete-window' and
> 'delete-other-windows' parameters for all involved windows.

> I'll now try to amend the manual entries for 'split-window',
> 'delete-window' and 'delete-other-windows' appropriately as Eli
> suggested.

It's up to you whether to describe the behavior with atomic windows
where the functions are described or where the atomic windows are
described.  In the latter case, the description of the functions
should have a cross-reference to the atomic-windows section.

Thanks.