Re: Declaring cl.el obsolete

From: Ken Olum
Subject: Re: Declaring cl.el obsolete
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 11:08:31 -0400

If I understand things correctly, the important difference between cl
and cl-lib is that the former provides actual Common Lisp compatibility,
whereas the latter allows you to use some Common Lisp features by
renaming functions that are in Common Lisp but not in Emacs lisp by
adding "cl-".  My goal is just to be able to write code without worrying
about which functions are in which language, so I would like to stick
with cl.  Thus it seems to me that cl-lib provides different
functionality and doesn't render cl obsolete.

For whatever it's worth, some of the controversy here and in the
backquote discussion seems to arise from differences between people who
are Lisp programmers in the rest of their lives and those using it only
for emacs.

                                        Ken