Re: cursor-invisible-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cursor-invisible-mode
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 17:18:30 -0400

> There is cursor-intangible-mode in cursor-sensor.el, but I wonder why
> it has no cursor-invisible-mode?

Because the purpose of cursor-intangible-mode and cursor-sensor-mode is
to make the `intangible`, `point-entered`, and `point-left` properties
(along with inhibit-point-motion-hooks variable) obsolete.

> When implemented it could treat the text that has the 'invisible'
> property by expanding when cursor moves inside, and then contracting
> when it's out again like is demonstrated in
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/35624#104

It's called `reveal-mode` (and no, currently it doesn't work with
text-properties, only with overlays.  Still waiting for someone to
write the code for that).

> Another case where such mode could help that comes to mind is the
> grep-find-abbreviate feature, where instead of pushing the button
> to expand/contract the hidden part enabling cursor-invisible-mode
> could expand/contract it when the cursor moves inside.

It seems cursor-sensor-mode could also be a good fit for this one.

        Stefan