Re: Emacs as a snap package

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs as a snap package
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 10:44:27 -0700

On 5/21/19 6:01 PM, Alex Murray wrote:
As such I would be keen to get feedback on the following:

1. Maintain an official snapcraft.yaml recipe for Emacs within the Emacs
git tree across both master and the various release branches which can
be used to build 'official' Emacs snaps directly from the git source
tree.

I assume this has the function of the already-existing .gitlab-ci.yml file that Emacs already has in the master branch. That file is for GitLab continuous integration builds, whereas snapcraft.yaml would be for snap.

This raises the issue: if we start supporting multiple CI platforms, perhaps we should put build-instruction files into a new directory (build-aux/ci, say), rather than cluttering the toplevel directory with such files.

2. Register an official GNU Project account for the Snap store and use
this to publish these official snap builds.

3. Optionally, use the build.snapcraft.io service to provide automated
builds directly (similar to the current emacs-snapshot PPA[8] which is
widely used).

These are topics for RMS to address, I'd think. I'll CC: him.