Re: Future release of emacs-26

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Future release of emacs-26
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 17:07:58 +0100

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> and we don't even know whether emacs-26 will be
>> used for another "regular" release.
>
> So, I'm thinking we should be aiming for another "regular" release
> around September, when the GNU ELPA package signing key expires.  After
> that, people downloading Emacs 26.2 won't be able to install GNU ELPA
> packages without either disabling signature checking, or manually
> installing the new key.
>
> https://debbugs.gnu.org/35414
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/gnu-elpa-keyring-update.html

Another possibility would be to release Emacs-26.2.1 which is just
Emacs-26.2 with the key updated. This could be done with a single commit
and would not require an extensive pre-test period.

It seems problematic to me to tie a release cycle to a key running
out. There will be time that this is pragmatically just not possible,
while performing one (or a number of) point releases would always be
doable.

Phil