Re: Adding olivetti to GNU ELPA

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Adding olivetti to GNU ELPA
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 10:32:06 +0200

>> I see it now.  Where do you reinstall the 'split-window' parameter
>> after splitting?
>
> It's in the main function, olivetti-set-margins @ line 177.

OK.  Then I'm afraid you have to do the following: Whenever olivetti
mode is active in at least _one_ live window on a frame you have to
use 'olivetti-split-window' on _all_ internal windows of that frame
too.  You can use 'walk-window-tree' for setting and resetting this
parameter and the margins of all olivetti mode windows.  It should not
be too much of a hassle (and tell me immediately when you encounter
any problems).

The reason is that 'split-window' may be called for internal windows
too.  For example, if you want to make a new window on the left or
right side of a frame, Emacs may want to split the root window of that
frame.  In this case it will check the sizes of all live subwindows of
the root window and if any of these windows has too large margins, the
split may fail because of insufficient space for the new window.

martin