Re: Native image rotation

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Native image rotation
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 19:18:48 +0100

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 09:29:02PM +0100, Basil L. Contovounesios wrote:
> Alan Third <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Would it be better if it was done by another XRender composite rather
> >> than x_clear_area?
> >
> > I tried to replace this with XRenderFillRectangle, but realised I need
> > to construct an XRenderColor struct, and I’ve no idea how to get the
> > colour data held in img->background.
> >
> > I’ve attached a patch containing the original two, and the ability to
> > crop.
>
> Thanks for working on this; I'm curious to know its status.

I’ve sort of put Emacs development on a back burner for the moment.
I’m planning on returning to this at some point, though.

> BTW, I think native image rotation should support arbitrary angles (if
> possible), if for no other reason than ImageMagick also supporting them.

I do think there is an issue with masks and cursors that maybe
wouldn’t be straight forward. I’m still somewhat unclear on how
images, cursors and masks interact. If someone has a good solution I’d
be happy to hear it, but of course it has to be passed by Eli too and
I don’t know if his objections are the same as what I’m thinking of.

I plan to go back and rewrite it to only handle 90 degree increments
and submit that, at least for now.
--
Alan Third