Re: casual contributing with git

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: casual contributing with git
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 06:48:25 +0200

On 2019-05-19, at 03:41, Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Jul 5, 2017, at 2:51, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Workspaces are cheap; I keep a full checkout of master, and one of each
>> branch I'm working on, at all times.
>
> Is that the recommended way ?

Of course not!  (At least, not as far as Git goes in general - but
I don't think there is some Emacs idiosyncrasy here.)

Anyway, if you *must* (or you think you must) create separate
"workspaces" ("worktrees" in official Git parlance) for various
branches, you might want to check out the `git worktree' command.  But
most probably you don't need such a feature.

Also, if you tend to switch between WiP on various branches (which is
not something I would recommend, but may be necessary), `git stash' is
definitely your friend.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski