[OFFTOPIC] size of issue tracker (was: [RFE] Migration to gitlab)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] size of issue tracker (was: [RFE] Migration to gitlab)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 12:41:25 -0400

> Yesterday, after writing the above, I've checked out the gtk project and
> enabled Magit/Forge on it.  The initial fetch of the topics (~1900
> issues and ~800 merge requests) took about two hours, but contrary to
> what has been reported in another message in this thread, it did not

Not sure if this time is spent on turn-around time or actual transfer or
what, but FWIW, my proof-of-concept BuGit issue-tracking-system kept the
whole 20 thousand or so issues of debbugs.gnu.org in a Git repo that was
less than 10MB, IIRC, so cloning the whole thing takes much less than
2 hours, even on a slow connection.

One of the reasons why I really wish for a bug tracker that keeps the
issues in Git (and no, sadly, BuGit is not up-to-the-task, it's just
a 100KB proof-of-concept shell script).

> Why does Forge insist downloading the entire DB to the local machine?
> That sounds like something that wouldn't scale well.

I don't know why it does so, but it sounds like a good idea to me, so
you can later use them when you're offline.

        Stefan