Re: ange-ftp with lftp

From: _RDS_
Subject: Re: ange-ftp with lftp
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 09:18:56 -0700

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Slackware does not use ftp, only lftp. But, CentOS has both. The ftp client there acted properly.

For my purposes, I'll just use lftp in a terminal & forgo dired.

Guido

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:00 AM Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
_RDS_ <address@hidden> writes:

> I am attempting to use ange-ftp in emacs 26.2 with lftp 4.8.4.
>
> lftp as a standalone client is fine. Inside an emacs terminal it is
> operational, too.
>
> However, upon executing
>
>     emacs /ftp:address@hidden:/slackware/
>
> from a console or xterm or invoking C-x C-f ...,
>
> the emacs messages buffer displays

> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> Opening FTP connection to slackware.cs.utah.edu...
> tramp-file-name-handler: FTP Error: OPEN request failed: LFTP |
> Version 4.8.4 | Copyright (c) 1996-2017 Alexander V. Lukyanov"
>
> Here's the relevant entries in some key files
>
> init.el
>   (load "ange-ftp") ;;redundant?
>   (require 'ange-ftp)
>   (setq ange-ftp-default-user "anonymous")
>   (setq ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password t)
>   (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "lftp")
>   (setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-args '("-v"))

AS Yuri said, "-v" is not an lftp option. So I would set
ange-ftp-ftp-program-args to '() (or nil).

And there are more variables to adapt. For example, comint-prompt-regexp
in the internal ange-ftp buffer has the value "^ftp> ", which doesn't
fit to lftp. This is hard-coded in function internal-ange-ftp-mode.

Finally, you'll need to debug ange-ftp in order to let it run with lftp.

> Thank you.
>
> Guido

Best regards, Michael.