Re: Adding olivetti to GNU ELPA

From: Paul W. Rankin
Subject: Re: Adding olivetti to GNU ELPA
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 14:07:24 +1000

I've pushed some changes provided by Stefan for compatibility with Emacs 27.x.

I'm sorry to say but this goes a bit over my head... From Emacs 24 - 27 there seem to be three hooks that have shifting/overlapping capabilities. The hooks are:

- window-configuration-change-hook
- post-command-hook
- window-size-change-functions

When I first created the minor mode, window-configuration-change-hook was enough for all situations I encountered.

With the introduction of display-line-numbers-mode, Eli suggested I change this to post-command-hook. This seemed not to cover a few window resize events, so I added window-configuration-change-hook back, but I've since received complaints from people experiencing laggy input, but then also errors with Emacs 27.x.

At this point I've become too confused to find an adequate solution between the Three Hooks so I (and I'm sure those who use the minor mode) would love if someone more familiar with the changing nature of the Three Hooks could provide a solution...

I *think* what is needed is a way to apply the hooks contingent on emacs-major-version <= 24 and <= 25 or 26(?) and <= 27.

Much appreciation :)

--
https://www.paulwrankin.com