Re: Removing assumption of unsigned long pixel values for colours

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Removing assumption of unsigned long pixel values for colours
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 21:00:40 +0300

> Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 20:39:13 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Alex Gramiak <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 11:14:41 -0600
> >
> > > OK, but that just says that each platform already performs the mapping
> > > you wanted to avoid.  What makes your back-end special that it needs
> > > to avoid this?
> >
> > My initial reasoning was the time argument, which turned out to be
> > wrong.
> >
> > Now I want to avoid the lookup table approach
>
> Once again: why?

Btw, I think this discussion basically puts the cart before the horse,
so to speak.  You say you are developing a new back-end, which might
need these changes, but we never saw that back-end and didn't yet
decide it's a useful addition to Emacs.  IMO, this is the wrong order
of discussing this stuff.  let's first see the feature itself, discuss
its implementation and integration with Emacs, and only after that
talk about any necessary changes in the infrastructure.  That way, all
the sides of the discussion will know what's at stake, and the
discussion becomes more concrete.

OK?