Re: landing harfbuzz branch (Re: Status of multicolor fonts?)

From: mituharu
Subject: Re: landing harfbuzz branch (Re: Status of multicolor fonts?)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 06:46:56 +0900

> On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 06:59:26PM +0900, address@hidden
> wrote:
>> I also tried adding the `mac-cthb' backend, but it is not included
>> in the patch.
>
> Is there any advantage to mac-cthb over the current coretext system?

Nothing I know of.  I just implemented it to see if FreeType
dependency is eliminated in ftfont_shape_by_hb (despite its
name).

> Could it be ported to GNUstep? The current font backend is, in my
> experience, not very good.

That would make sense.  There is no direct interface to create
hb_font_t object from NSFont, but it might be possible by
directly referring to the font file name.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden