Re: isearch region or thing at point.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: isearch region or thing at point.
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 18:03:44 +0200

Hi Drew:

I would prefer a keybind for it, even a different one, but otherwise
nobody will use the command and the people will continue using
workarounds like now. I didn't take M-y or C-y because they were already
taken and M-w was not colliding with anything in my emacs -Q.

Many people just find the emacs commands while using emacs (thanks to
which-key or counsel-completion or Helm they discover the keybinds) and
commands without a keybind are VERY less visible/accessible unless they
explicitly know and configure a bind for them. The users find them only
after reading a lot of documentation in the manual (which no many people
do). But which-key simplifies the life a lot. Specially for new users.

In fact the "right" to do (IN MY OPINION) is to define a keybind for all
the commands like this. (which insert text from active-region into
minibuffer once in the minibuffer, that could help for
replace-regex/find-file/flyspell/and many others) that will solve a lot
of collisions and will simplify the user experience a lot. (memorization)

We have a lot of package that already proposes patches for this issue
trying to figure out somehow when to insert text from region (or near to
point) to the minibuffer (all the thing-at-point-like packages in elpa
&& melpa are workarounds for this general issue).

BTW: The isearch+ package isn't in elpa||melpa?? I can't find it in the
packages-list, so probably that's why I didn't check it before (I try to
avoid this kind of issues as much as possible before proposing
changes). Is there any reason why it is not in elpa||melpa? Because I
don't know anyone who uses it; for sure because they don't know it.

Let's wait for Eli, Basil and the others... Maybe they will propose a
genial solution (as usual).