Re: Emacs i18n

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 05:43:22 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 15:35:22 -0700
>
> > Do we have any reasons not to follow the CLISP example of factoring
> > these issues?
>
> That's the first I've heard that CLISP does gettext.

I learned that from post by Bruno here up-thread.

> I looked into it, and it's a reasonably simple binding, which means
> that the language is part of the global state (Emacs would not
> easily be multilingual)

We could offer the language as another optional argument.  I'm not
sure we need to allow control of the CATEGORY (for choosing the LC_*
category), so we could replace that with the language.  Or we could
keep CATEGORY for compatibility and just add LANGUAGE.

> and that each package can have its own catalog and can specify that
> catalog as a trailing argument to gettext (presumably the default
> catalog would be for Emacs core). This should be good enough, though
> it will be a bit of a hassle for non-core code to keep track of the
> catalog.

If we want some automatic way of changing the domain when a function
from a package is called, we need to develop the infrastructure for
that.  But that could wait for later, I think.