Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 11:39:49 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> As a rule of thumb that is 99% true, everything in xdisp.c is generic,
> i.e. independent of the terminal-specific implementation.  The
> terminal-dependent stuff is in xterm.c/xfns.c (for X),
> w32term.c/w32fns.c (for w32), nsterm.m/nsfns.m (for NS), and term.c
> (for TTY).

Which the naming scheme should reflect, IMO. This includes the presence
of x_* procedures in the NS/W32 code that Stefan mentioned.

> Although I personally fail to see how such renaming will help anyone
> or anything.

For example, the comment in ns_redisplay_interface that feels the
need to mention that the procedures aren't tied to X.

The part that made me make this thread was that there is no visual
distinction between the generic and X-dependent procedures in the
definition of x_redisplay_interface. It's not a huge deal, but it's not
ideal.

> The original long-term plan, to remind us, was not just to rename the
> functions, but also to extract the common code from them so that we
> have only one copy of that.

Right, but that work can be separate from the renaming of the generic
RIF procedures in xdisp.c. If it's going to happen, then IMO it should
happen sooner rather than later.

How about the attached patch? I can mention each rename individually in
the commit message if you agree.

P.S. Should x_clear_window_mouse_face instead be renamed to
clear_window_mouse_face since it doesn't depend on HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM
like the others do?