creating unibyte strings (was: Oddities with dynamic modules)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: creating unibyte strings (was: Oddities with dynamic modules)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 21:26:32 -0400

>> > potentially superfluous functions can't be removed any more, so this
>> > question seems to be of largely historical interest.
>> No, it's not only of historical interest, because we can add
>> functions.

Which reminds me: could someone add to the module API a primitive to
build a *unibyte* string?  Currently it seems the only way to do that is
by building a multibyte string and then encoding it with utf-8, which is
both inefficient and risky (I know it's supposed to return exactly the
originally intended bytes, but it's a very round about way to do it
with lots of opportunity for bugs along the way).

        Stefan