Re: [platform-testers] Emacs 26.2 RC1 is out!

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] Emacs 26.2 RC1 is out!
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 10:25:47 -0600

I can now report considerable success with building and installing the
emacs-26.2-rc1.tar.xz release candidate announced yesterday.  In our
test farm of physical and virtual machines, I have done 94 automated
builds, followed by 30 manual ones, with successful installations on
65 platforms.

The manual ones are due to a problem I have raised before, namely,
that the various optional libraries controlled by configure's
--with-XXX=yes/no are frequently unavailable across my many systems,
with the result that configure quits, and then reports something like
this:

        Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
        If you don't want to link with them give
            --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
--with-gnutls=no
        as options to configure

While this is not a big deal for people who build only for a single
platform, it is a huge pain for people like me with large build farms
(up to 225 different systems, until a recent hardware problem removed
a chunk of them).  I need to have fairly generic build procedures for
software, not ones that require platform-specific and package-specific
build customization.

I don't find anything that requires code changes in emacs-26.2; I just
need to do some more manual work to get builds to succeed on platforms
where they failed.

So, kudos again to the emacs development team for keeping emacs
portable across a wide range of computing environments!

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -