Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 11:14:13 -0500

On 17 Mar 2019, Richard Stallman wrote:
>We will not move Emacs to Gitlab.  That site has substantial flaws on
>some ethical points, and we do not endorse it.
>
>See https://gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html for more details.
>
>Changing savannah's interface is something we could do,
>if people offer to do the work.

Saying "we will not move X to GitLab" is ambiguous -- not your fault -- because
the maintainers of GitLab use that word to refer to several distinct things:

1) A rather nice Free Software package that offers functionality similar to
Savannah and other forges.

2) A hosted service for (1).

3) A hosted service for a version of (1) that has been extended with
proprietary features.

I believe that (1) and (2) both meet the repository criteria you mention above.
 (3) obviously does not.

"GitLab" is also the name of a company that runs both (2) and (3), and that
company is the primary maintainer of (1).  While their marketing material
focuses on (3), making it hard to tell that they also offer (2), they do offer
(2).  Of course, one could just self-host (1), if one has the ability to do so.

Best regards,
-Karl