Re: Emacs i18n

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 22:11:31 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 00:11:24 +0900
>
> > Extraction is just a technicality, it can be done in either of several
> > possible ways.
>
> Sure. I just meant that l10n issues (is PO "efficiency", etc.) are already
> solved, but i18n in general has to be implemented from scratch.

No sure I understand: what part(s) we would need to implement from
scratch?  We already have the capability of inserting arbitrary
non-ASCII text into any buffer and displaying such text as echo area
messages.

> > and (b) how to arrange the message catalogs
> > so that they will be easy to maintain and update, given the modular
> > nature of Emacs.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean in "how to arrange ..." Do you mean: how to
> provide the l10n packages to translator communities ?

No, I mean how many catalogs should we have and what should be their
granularity.  Also, how to merge several catalogs (the need for this
might disappear if, for example, we decide that each .el file will
have its own catalog), and how to load catalogs on demand when the
corresponding code is loaded/executed.

> Can't we start with a survey of the strings we want extracted in a given
> number of emacs core packages ?

How would such a survey help us?  We generally want all of the strings
that are displayed to the user translated.  We don't need any survey
for that decision.