Re: vc-mode-line ancient, root-specific code for buffer-read-only

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: vc-mode-line ancient, root-specific code for buffer-read-only
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:16:50 -0800

Glenn Morris wrote:

I would like to suggest just removing that vc-mode-line code.
It's for locking VCS, is buggy, and doesn't even make sense.
root cannot "write anything", unless we are concerned with odd cases
like a file being writable by other but not owner. Ie locked files would
be marked read-only for root anyway.

The code is indeed for locking VCs which are almost entirely obsolete now. And the code has problems if the file has been deleted, as you noted. So I would favor removing the code as being more trouble than it's worth.

On the other hand I don't follow the comment "root cannot 'write anything'". Traditionally, root can write any file that is writable to any user (and even some files that no other users can write to), so in that sense roote can "write anything".