Re: installed packages long description.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: installed packages long description.
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 11:38:59 -0500

> I see two solutions; describe-package can also look for README or the
> Commentary comment header, or package-install can always populate
> ~/.emacs.d/elpa/<pkg>-readme.txt

Another is to look for a corresponding package in the archives and
download its readme file.

> preferences?

The ELPA standard doesn't say how/where to find the description within
the package: the <pkg>-readme.txt served via HTTP is the only
documented/official way to get the description (the README file and the
Commentary sections are just what existing archives tend to use in
their own package-building scripts).

While we can come up with a short-term solution, I think in the long run
we should try and improve the ELPA standard in this respect, e.g. by
specifying where the description can be found within the package (and
also by specifying some kind of markup for this description rather than
being limited to plain text).

        Stefan