gpg 2.2 and epa

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: gpg 2.2 and epa
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 16:47:29 -0800

Richard Stallman wrote:
I tried installing gpg 2.2 some months ago, but Emacs master ceased to
recognize when it was asking for a password.  Has anyone had success
with this?

Emacs master works for me on my Ubuntu 18.04.1 desktop, where "gpg --version" reports gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.4 with libgcrypt 1.8.1.

Emacs master (like Emacs 26.1) delegates password handling to gpg2. That is, Emacs itself isn't responsible for reading passphrases; gpg2 does it for Emacs. On my desktop, when I am using Emacs and need a GPG passphrase, a window pops up (I assume generated by the GPG agent), and the agent remembers the key.