Re: dir-local vs major-mode setting

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: dir-local vs major-mode setting
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 16:12:43 +1300

On 2018-11-15 16:00, Stefan Monnier wrote:
If the project is expected to contain .tex files then the above would
constitute a bug in the .dir-locals.el file (which should contain mode-
specific entries for exceptions to the global settings).

The whole point of `nil` is that it's not mode-specific.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "global" there; that was confusing.
I was referring to the nil case.

i.e. I would expect the .dir-locals.el to have, say:

((nil . ((indent-tabs-mode . t)))
 (tex-mode . ((indent-tabs-mode . nil))))

So that tex-mode files don't use tabs, but other modes will.

However, I've also just noticed that Emacs 26.1 appears to have broken/
inverted the way that such overrides work.

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/46005/454

-Phil