Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2018 00:33:39 +0100

On 2018-10-31 at 21:31, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> > BTW, while preparing the first patch I already found tons of
>> > unnecessary quotes outside of pcase patterns: quotes quoting
>> > self-evaluating objects like strings and numbers.
>>
>> Really?  Can you show a few examples?  Maybe there's something wrong
>> with our documentation if people make such mistakes.
>
> Here is the result of a quick search.  As Stefan said, I don't say we
> should fix (all of) these.  But some really look strange.  There are
> many quoted strings - I wonder if these quotes change the behavior of
> the compiler or so?

I want to notice this kind of questionment is exactly the kind of
reasons why such “author stylistic preference” usage should be avoided:
because unless a such “stylistic preference”, along with its reason,
meanings, and use cases, is formally made explicit somewhere so that its
meaning (and use) is clear (but then we will end with yet another
non-self-quoting semantic formatting usage (just as “((alist cons key)
. (alist cons value list))” and “((alist cons key) alist cons value
list)”)) then people will begin to really (hence unacknoweldgly,
irrationally, and thus inconsistently) believe this may be kind of
special low-level optimization wizard trick, and recopy that without
understanding, so that supposed “meaningful stylistic preference” will
end up in inconsistent garbage random obfuscation everywhere (I’m
exagerating but this is a useless risk).