Re: Performance degradation from long lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Performance degradation from long lines
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 11:46:27 +0300

> From: Ihor Radchenko <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 16:05:25 +0800
>
> > Not in all cases, but certainly in some.
>
> I can say the same about the whole long lines problem.

Would it help to "say the same"?

I'm trying to come up with ideas to help people get bearable
performance in practical use cases.  I can shut up if people don't
want to hear about partial solutions that don't work in all cases.

Assigning blame and/or venting steam will not help us make any
progress in this area, you know.

> > How about asking Org developers to do something about these cases,
> > like not using the entire buffer as a literal string argument, to
> > avoid such problems?
>
> Well, in org-mode, the buffer is parsed into s-exp containing all the
> buffer elements and the associated text, which can be even longer that
> the buffer string itself.
> So, the long line is what the parser returns.
> This approach is a part of the core implementation of the org-mode and
> cannot be changed easily.

Then perhaps we could find a solution specific to backtrace buffers,
like displaying ellipsis or a special button instead of too-long
lines.