Re: Performance degradation from long lines

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Performance degradation from long lines
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:53:20 -0400

On 24/10/2018 19.59, mithraeum wrote:
> To me it seems that the aforementioned loss of display capabilities
> is not relevant to terminal Emacs, as it doesn't have those capabilities
> in the first place.  So none of the objections apply except those
> regarding extra maintenance and the effort to make this work.

I don't understand this part.  Eli listed the following capabilities:

* bold, italics, and other important face attributes
* Some characters are not covered by fixed-pitch fonts, so they cannot be
displayed. The usual box-with-hex-code display of such characters will also be
lost, so we will be left with displaying them as ? or somesuch.
* Character composition will also be lost, so bye-bye prettify-symbols-mode and
support for some scripts that cannot be displayed without composed characters.
* Some characters (mostly from East-Asian scripts) need to be displayed at
twice the width, so either you give up those scripts, or you are back to the
original problem.

Many (all?) of these features are available in the terminal, too (at least the
following: bold, underline, italics, characters that don't have fixed-pitched
fonts, prettify-symbols-mode, and wide characters).  What did you mean by
"terminal Emacs doesn't have those capabilities in the first place"?

Clément.