D-Bus and notifications

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: D-Bus and notifications
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 12:55:18 +0200

Hi all,

I wanted to get Gnus warn me of some personal mails by sound and others
with delay, but I noticed the “urgency” flag in freedesktop
notifications spec is not urgency but importance, the “timeout” only is
about displaying, and the “sound-name” is not a conditional hint but an
imperative depending on capabilites, I guess, and the API stays quite
imperative and not that much semantic, so there isn’t much freedom for
notification server…

I wanted to experiment more flexibility, so I’d like to know if dbus.el
can be used not only to have a notif client but also a server, so that
the notifications would go to emacs instead of, say, dunst, that I
wouldn’t use anymore.

In that case, could I experiment some new hints or are the specs
hardcoded in C somewhere, like in dbus?