Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: gnus-mock

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: gnus-mock
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:30:15 -0400

> I've just pushed the branch scratch/gnus-mock to ELPA, containing a
> package I'd like to add there.

Looks great!  Feel free to move it to a non-scratch branch (e.g. using
"Version: 0" if you still don't want to release it as a GNU ELPA package).

> It's called "Gnus Mock", and provides a dummy test installation for
> Gnus, which you can use for working on Gnus features and testing Gnus
> bugs without endangering your own Gnus setup. I'm hoping this makes it
> easier to do work on Gnus -- it's often hard to hack on without a full
> working installation, and no one wants to risk their own mail on that.

And here I was, thinking it was mostly designed for use by automated tests.

> (defconst gnus-mock-data-dir
>           (file-name-as-directory (expand-file-name
>                                    "data"
>                                    (file-name-directory load-file-name)))
>    "Source directory for Gnus mock data.")
>
>    That seems to work fine, but I wanted to check there wasn't a
>    better/safer way to do it.

I think that's about as good as it gets currently.
It's pretty reliable/safe in this use case (it gets more tricky if you
need to find such files during byte-compilation of your file).

        Stefan