while-no-input and pending input (was: while-no-input interrupted by *sh

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: while-no-input and pending input (was: while-no-input interrupted by *shell*)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:47:41 +0200

Hello again,

I ran into other trouble with `while-no-input': A command I use - it
calls w-n-i to generate feedback for the echo area unless the user hits
a key - sometimes needs to select a different frame.  AFAIK this
generates an event and w-n-i then does nothing because of its implicit
`input-pending-p' test.

Using a modified version of w-n-i with the input-pending-p test removed
solves the problem, but that's not good because (1) I have to duplicate
the definition of w-n-i in my code (it's what Helm does btw.) and (2)
hmm, can doing this have downsides?

What could I else do in this situation to prevent the frame switch or
whatever event to be misinterpreted as user input?  Could/should w-n-i
generally ignore events in `while-no-input-ignore-events' - I mean, also
the input-pending-p part?

Thanks,

Michael.