Re: Doc of keyboard macros

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Doc of keyboard macros
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 20:03:57 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 22:35:40 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> > Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 22:23:03 +0300

> > There is a current tendency towards deprecating F1-F10 function keys
> > by hardware manufacturers.  These keys are already hard to press by default
> > on PC: a special additional key <Fn> needs to be pressed in combination of
> > <Fn>-<F3>, and a Chromebook has no row of function keys at all: in order
> > to get <F4>, you have to press <Search>-4.

> Those are still faster than "C-x (", since they are a single key
> combination, whereas "C-x (" is 2 key combinations.

I don't think the speed (or otherwise) of C-x ( compared with F3 is
important.  After one of these, the user is going to be slowly and
carefully typing in a sequence of key sequences, not wanting to make
mistakes and having to start again.

I would prefer to keep C-x ( and C-x ), because I use F3 and F4 for
other things (in particular, switching to frames F3 and F4).  C-x
<paren> also feels more mnemonic than F3 and F4.

Sorry if this is opening up an old debate which was settled long ago,
and I somehow missed.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).