Re: Suggesting `frame-split-biggest-window' Re: customize location and s

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Suggesting `frame-split-biggest-window' Re: customize location and shape of a new window in a frame
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 10:18:04 +0200

> The current discussion of 'display-buffer-alist' in the elisp manual
> appears rather technical, suited only for expert users.  On the
> other hand, the variable is declared with defcustom, as if
> individual users should customize it to their personal liking.
> Phrased differently: a package like BBDB should not hijack this
> variable for its needs (but at best it could contribute to its value
> via a user option), correct?

I think so.  No package should hijack this variable for its needs -
it's entirely left to the user.  Packages like BBDB should only use
the ACTION argument of 'display-buffer'.  Only in a few, special and
well documented cases, 'display-buffer-overriding-action' may be used
to override a user's customization of 'display-buffer-alist'.

> If that's the case, then it would really help to extend the
> documentation for this variable, stating not only that it works only
> for a single buffer, but also adding one or two real-world examples
> similar to what we have been discussing here.
>
> I believe it is quite common that users may want to customize how
> emacs pops up new windows.  Having a unified customization scheme
> for that would be much nicer than having different approaches
> implemented in different packages.

There is an example at the end of section 28.14.  If you want it to
say things differently, say more, or whether to put it somewhere else
please tell us.

martin