Re: visual-region-mode? (was: delete-selection-mode as default)

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode? (was: delete-selection-mode as default)
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 12:12:26 +0700

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:24 AM Charles A. Roelli <address@hidden> wrote:

> > A consistent definition of a transient region would make the mark also
> > buffer-and-window-local, so that buffer B in windows X and Y could
> > have completely independently marked regions.
>
> In that case, pushing a mark in window X, then switching to window Y
> and popping the mark would not necessarily place point where the mark
> was pushed in window X, since window Y might have its own mark.  That
> could be surprising behavior.  The handling of the mark-ring would
> also be complicated.

I thought about it some more.

We have a notion of mark that is somewhat overloaded. On the one hand,
there is the mark ring and the global mark ring whose purpose in life
is to help the user navigate back to positions they visited earlier.
On the other hand, the mark is used as one of the two delimiters of
the region.

It seems to me these two uses of the mark are mutually disjoint, and
it might be a better model if they were decoupled.