Re: Some developement questions

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:57:15 +0700

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 7:08 PM hw <address@hidden> wrote:

> Beginners may never have seen a floppy and only remote files.  A 3.5
> vs. a 5.25" disk might mean nothing to them even when the disks are
> clearly depicted.

Yes. This is why some GTK icon themes no longer use the floppy disk
for the Save icon.

I don’t have a generic solution for character encodings and
end-of-line conventions. Might just keep displaying them as text, but
possibly spelled out in full (cp437, windows-1252, utf-8, instead of
D, *, U) and moved to a less prominent position.

> What do you use for remote files?

Nothing yet, as remote editing is not a thing I do in Emacs often.
U+1F5A7 THREE NETWORKED COMPUTERS 🖧 seems fitting, though.