Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 17:54:16 +0300

> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 07:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > And, btw, I find nothing wring with this habit of mine, the only
> > problem here is that someone decided that "C-x C-x" should activate
> > the region.
>
> Yes. `transient-mark-mode' does it.
>
> Consider a replacement for `C-x C-x' that does not activate
> the region.

If you mean for everybody (i.e. by default), then I'd welcome patches
to that effect, and maybe that would be a first step towards making
delete-selection-mode on by default without annoying veteran Emacs
users who are fast typist.

If you mean for my own use, then it should be clear to you that my own
problems with this were solved long ago by my customizations.  All
this thread is not about my usability problem, it's about everyone
else.