Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2018 10:22:46 -0400

On 2018-09-09 09:45, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> In the current polling exercise, I would urge those interpreting the
> supporters/detractors but the strength of feeling behind those responses.

Careful with this though.  It's easy to misread a moderate response backed by
strong feelings and classify it as "don't care too much".

> I've seen several such that strongly dislike d-s-mode, but haven't seen
> any saying "I utterly detest editors lacking delete-selection-mode".
> That suggests to me that we should not enable this mode by default.
Here's a different take on the same observation: people who don't like
delete-selection-mode seem to care very much, so we can assume they'll make the
effort to turn it off.  Conversely, people who do like it seem to like it only
a little, so we can't assume they'll trouble themselves to find the right
setting and toggle it.  Hence, it should be enabled by default :)

I don't trust user polls much, FWIW.  They're heavily biased, and people are
not good judges of what makes them productive.