Re: hash-consing bignums and eq==eql

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: hash-consing bignums and eq==eql
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:09:54 -0400

> Common Lisp and Scheme both have this distinction, and they seem to be doing
> OK.

Don't forget that Common Lisp and Scheme have a very different user-base
and goals.  These are languages whose target users are real programmers,
and where its considered normal to let a program core-dump if the
programmer has given incorrect compiler hints in the form of
type annotations.

Most users of Elisp on the other hand would not describe themselves as
programmers.

> In this particular tradeoff between performance and nicer behavior, most
> Lisp users seem to prefer performance.

If they prefer performance, they won't be coding in Elisp, I'm afraid.

        Stefan