Re: documentation of integers, fixnums and bignums

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: documentation of integers, fixnums and bignums
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 13:05:48 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I think it's important for the Lisp programmers to
know what kind of objects they could get as return values.  Maybe in
some distant future we will no longer care about the difference
between fixnums and bignums, but as of now, we still do.

When Lisp programmers care about object types, they should care only whether the objects are integers. From a type point of view programmers shouldn't care whether an integer is small or large, any more than they should care whether a vector is small or large. Occasionally for pragmatic reasons it may make sense to point out that an integer might be large or not, just as it occasionally may make sense to point out that a vector might be large or not. But this should be the exception, not the typical case.

What you see as "some distant future" I see as happening before the next release, by the way. Perhaps that explains why you're more in favor of documenting the current not-yet-finished situation, whereas I'm more in favor of keeping the documentation simple and implementing it that way.