Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 01:13:10 -0400

It seems to me that the people who like delete-selection-mode
are those who are used to some similar behavior in some other
editor and have not truly got used to Emacs.

They have two possible paths to follow: get used to Emacs,
or stay in the middle.  We can provide various features to
make Emacs serve each group.  But here we have a proposal
to make the defaults serve cater primarily to those who don't want to
get used to Emacs, rather than those who want to get used to Emacs,
and also at the expense of experienced Emacs users.

I am against making delete-selection-mode the default.

However, there might be some way of helping new users choose this and
other settings based on whether they want to truly get used to Emacs
or just use it occasionally.

--
Dr Richard Stallman