Re: Bignum speedup patch causes crash at startup

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Bignum speedup patch causes crash at startup
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 01:09:52 +0100

On Tue 04 Sep 2018, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Paul> Andy Moreton wrote:
>>> Tom added support in commit fb26c9fd69 ("Make purecopy work for
>>> bignums"), so if that causes problems then it may need to be revisited.
>
> Paul> That code is never used and it wouldn't hurt to remove it as per the
> Paul> attached. I'll CC: Tom to see if he has an opinion.
>
> I added it because someone (Andy I think but this illness is affecting
> my memory somewhat) asked for it.  It seemed not impossible for
> something to try to dump a bignum.  But, if it isn't needed, then IMO
> that's fine.

I mentioned that support for dumping bignums would seems to be a useful
feature, in the sense of not having arbitrary restrictions. Tom added
code to support that (the commit mentioned above).

Dumping of bignums is not currently required by any emacs code, but it
should be supported unless there is some unreasonable difficulty in
doing so.

    AndyM