Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: hw
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 16:35:17 +0200

> hw <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Simple: Either both threads are in the background because meanwhile, I'm
>> doing something else, or one of the threads is in the background and the
>> other one is in the foreground.
>
> Emacs does not support parallel execution of threads. There's only one
> thread which is active, no other thread "in the background" is working
> the same time. They are either blocked, or waiting that control is
> given to them.

This is what I have been missing.

It probably means you need to queue all requests for input because there
is no other way for the user to know what a request is about but
checking the queue.  You could give the information along with the
prompt, but I wouldn't want to be interrupted and forced to attend to an
unrelated prompt while doing something --- and I also don't want to have
to maintain the queue when I, for example, want to visit a file and am
prompted for the file name.

Using one thread per terminal/frame may bring about problems I am not
knowledgeable enough to anticipate.  I would imagine each terminal/frame
would need to have it's own mini-buffer.

Why doesn't Emacs support executing multiple threads in parallel?