Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 17:08:48 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 19:58:55 -0400
>
> With multiple threads asynchonously requesting input, I have a feeling
> that users will get confused in complicated situations as a result of
> not knowing which thread the input is for.

Yes, and I think we all agreed that some sort of serialization is
needed.  The question is how to do that without a complete rewrite of
the low-level input code.

Tom seems to have a different idea, but I don't think I understand it
well enough yet.

> Perhaps the minibuffer should indicate which thread is making the request
> when that isn't the current thread.

Why is that important?  Wouldn't the prompt itself be informative
enough?  And how (in what terms) would you suggest to indicate the
thread ID in this case?