Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 00:27:39 -0700

Pip Cet wrote:
I think too many places might still assume that most-positive-fixnum
is precisely either one of its current values (OTOH, I'm running with
most-positive-fixnum = 0x7fffffff and things appear to work).

Older Emacs used different values, and we survived OK when we changed them. Plus, xemacs's values differ from both old and current Emacs, and people port scripts among these implementations. So I think we'd be all right if we changed these values again.

I think references to most-positive-fixnum (and implicit ones, like
using Frandom without an argument) should be eliminated. Fixnum range
is now an implementation detail.

I tend to agree. Also, we should remove the fixnump and bignump functions; these functions certainly don't need to be in C code and I don't see why they even need to be present at all. We shouldn't be giving users the impression that the distinction between fixnums and bignums is important.