Re: Some developement questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 17:15:49 +0300

> Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 13:34:06 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
>
> - Why does emacs doesn't have a C api to create extensions as almost
> everything else in the Linux
> environment?

It does, since Emacs 26.1.  See the emacs-modules feature.

> - What's the actual status for the emacs-guile integration and why is it
> abandoned since 2015?

AFAIK, no one is actively working on Guile Emacs.  (And Guile itself
is developed much slower than Emacs is.)

> - Native compiler? We have seen in the list some people talking about JIT
> compilation.

We just got a JIT branch a few days ago, please take a look and help
work towards eventually landing it.

> - As there are less developers now, why not to consider to make a cleanup and
> melt/join/merge
> projects/modes, for example (vile, evil and equivalent all do the same). This
> could be very helpful not only for
> the projects but also for the documentation that is becoming obsolete in
> emacswiki we suppose because of
> manpower. The same could apply to melpa projects that are unmaintained for a
> very long time. Some of them
> just don't work and have not received any commit in 6 or 8 years, so they
> probably break newest emacs
> Releases and nobody knows. You could also get tracks of the downloads.

I'm not sure I understand what you suggest in practical terms here.

> - I have asked in my work and we are 4 emacs users only (in spite of we are
> more than 400 programmers)
> while most of the 3/4 of them are using vim. The main justifications are: "it
> is there" and "it doesn't require to
> configure anything". I have seen projects like spacemacs that solves somehow
> the configuration with a first
> start menu. Why don't you add a first time startup menu for the basic initial
> configuration in the default emacs,
> just to create a readable basic init.el? With use-packages it will be not
> that hard!!.

Emacs is much more flexible, and different people have different
needs.

But that doesn't mean people cannot come up with such proposals.
Please do propose practical changes, and they will be reviewed.