Re: Merging bignum to master

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: Merging bignum to master
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 09:51:41 +0200

On Aug 12 2018, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> I think other packages use --enable-mini-gmp, so maybe we should name
>> the option the same, for consistency.
>
> The GNU coding standards say that --enable is supposed to be for adding
> user-level facilities, which this is not: the user-level behavior does not
> change. Conversely, the coding standards say that --with is appropriate
> for choosing to use a library like GMP. So --with-SOMETHING seems more
> appropriate here than --enable-SOMETHING.

The autoconf manual says about --enable: "They should only cause parts
of the program to be built rather than left out."  The mini-gmp source
is a part of the sources, and --enable-mini-gmp enables the use of it.
--with is for external dependencies.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, address@hidden
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7