Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 19:36:33 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> I propose we just start with it, and see how it works. Emacs 27 is years
>> away, there's much time for improvement.
>
> You didn't answer wrt why we shouldn't just define additional commands
> and let users create async/sync toggle commands using them (and
> binding them to the same muscle-memory keys), or why we shouldn't also
> create such toggle commands (toggling with a prefix arg), but not
> necessarily bind them to the standard keys right away. IOW, what we
> usually do.

Because I believe this is more convenient. It is common practice to
change the behavior of a command by a prefix, and this is what "C-x &"
is good for. It *is* a prefix; just the implementation varies.

> Right. But this is still a new use case, I think. The `C-x RET c' case
> is pretty much the only other use of this technique, AFAIK.
>
> We document the use of prefix keys, i.e., binding a key to a
> keymap. We don't document this technique/cliche. Perhaps we should.

Agreed. Now, we have two special cases. I agree also with you to make
this technique more general, but since I'm in the muddy waters of
threads, I'd like to postpone it a bit (or somebody else does). If we
have the more general approach, it deserves documentation.

Best regards, Michael.