Re: 27.0.50, (void-function with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: 27.0.50, (void-function with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:51:52 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 19:14:50 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > when running an uncompiled Emacs --which is preferred for jumping into maybe
> > changed sources-- got

> There's no such thing as "an uncompiled Emacs".  All it means is that
> you did something to use some uncompiled code somewhere, but without
> clarifying what it is you did.

> > Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 1245) signaled (void-function
> > with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)

> So, apparently what you did was not right: if it hurts, don't do it.
> Without knowing what it is you did, nor what it is you were trying to
> do, it's hard to help you much further.

I had a similar experience with the macro save-buffer-state in
font-lock.el.  This macro is restricted by the surrounding
eval-when-compile.  So when I tried to instrument
font-lock-default-fontify-region for edebug, edebug assumed
save-buffer-state was an unknown function, and when I tried to run it,
it threw an error.

It was irritating to have to compile save-buffer-state by hand (with C-x
C-e) and then to instrument f-l-d-fontify-region again.

I thus concur with Andreas, that such macros (and possibly require
operations) should be available at run time.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).